Did you know that September is National Preparedness Month? So in this episode of Talking with the Toothcop, we share some quick tips your practice can follow to be prepared—for whatever may come. We also share a few ways you can take advantage of “Slowtember” and prep for the year to come.
Outline of This Episode
- [0:22] Quick tips for emergency preparedness
- [6:00] Take advantage of Slowtember
- [11:57] Check out Compliance Bootcamp
- [12:45] Shoutout to some podcast listeners!
Quick tips for emergency preparedness
What are some easy things you can do to prepare your practice for emergencies?
- Check that emergency lighting (exit signs) are working properly if there’s a power outage.
- Check your fire extinguishers and make sure they aren’t overdue for inspection. The fire department can do—and will sometimes just walk in—fire extinguisher checks for you.
- Check your smoke detectors and change the batteries regularly.
- Make sure that you perform an annual emergency drill. Have your staff put their John Hancock on a sign-in sheet and keep documentation proving you completed training. If it ain’t written, it didn’t happen.
- Get out your medical emergency plan and review it with your staff. Make sure that you walk through every part of the process (except calling 911).
Take advantage of Slowtember
September is a slow month for many dental practices, so make sure—if you haven’t already—to get your compliance training knocked out. Cover bloodborne pathogens, HIPAA, cybersecurity, etc. If you participate with Medicaid/Medicare, you’ll also need to do your Fraud, Waste, and Abuse training.
Take a few minutes to review everyone’s credentials and make sure they’re up-to-date. You should check CPR certifications, DEA registrations, sedation permits, even your driver's license and vehicle registration. Check anything that has an expiration date on it—both personally and professionally.
What else can you do? Mark your calendar for Dental Compliance Bootcamp 2021! Bootcamp is all things compliance and risk-management related. It’s available to non-clients (even better, It’s FREE for current clients).
Resources & People Mentioned
- Check out ProEdge Dental at https://proedgedental.com/toothcop!
- Learn more about protectIt dental at https://dentalcompliance.com/drugkit or call them at 888-878-8916 and tell them that the Toothcop sent you!
- Mark your calendar for Dental Compliance Bootcamp 2021