Enforcement Activity Is Up! Do You Have A Legit Paper Trail?
During the 4th Quarter of 2021 we saw a lot of enforcement activity, from the agencies that are announcing their fraud enforcement efforts to insurance companies that are initiating audits, etc. So whatever you’re involved with (Medicare, Medicaid, Indian Health Services, etc.), be sure you have an audit process in place that includes good records on the steps you’ve taken. You need to be able to prove your compliance should an audit or investigation comes your way.
Narcotics charges against a Michigan Dentist, and lesson for all of us
A Michigan Dentist was busted recently on narcotics charges, and it’s easy to sit at a distance and pass judgement. But regardless of the facts in this case, there are other things that happen along this line that are more common. For example: sometimes only one Dentist has a DEA license but the others in the practice may write scripts using the other Doc’s DEA number. That’s a dangerous habit to get into. This news story demonstrates that the powers that be are not looking the other way. Don't share your credentials and don’t allow other providers to use your credentials. Sharing is not caring in this situation.
Are you considering the purchase of a dental practice?
If you are considering buying a dental practice and the practice has been guilty of compliance issues, you will become liable for those issues the moment you buy the practice. So you need some kind of due diligence process that will assess the practice before you buy to ensure you’re not buying a piece of junk that you can’t get into compliance. But the good news is that not all things that look terrible are terrible. Duane has seen many situations where a practice was able to be easily fixed, then sold (like house flipping) for a profit. If you’re looking for support in the purchase of a dental practice, reach out!
Outline of This Episode
- [3:06] Duane’s interest and belief in goals (and another puppy)
- [7:13] Regulatory action is taking place, so be sure your audit process is up to date
- [8:44] A Michigan dentist is guilty on narcotics charges brought by the DEA
- [14:38] The Self-Disclosure Protocols have been renamed
- [17:27] The DOJ reintroduces corporate compliance monitors
- [26:31] NEW SEGMENT: Inspirational Quotes
Resources & People Mentioned
- Learn more about protectIt dental at https://dentalcompliance.com/drugkit or call them at 888-878-8916 and tell them that the Toothcop sent you!
- The Pro Edge Water team - www.ProEdgeDental.com/Toothcop (affiliate)
- Michigan Dentist busted by the DEA
- Self Disclosure Protocols renamed
- CIA's are back!
- The Justice Department's criminal fraud page
“We don’t rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training.”
“Don’t practice until you get it right, practice until you can’t get it wrong.”
“Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they have a second wind.”
Connect With Duane
- On Facebook
- On Twitter
- On LinkedIn
- On Youtube
Share this post
- Tags: DEA, DentalCompliance, Due Diligence, Fraud, HIPAA, Medicaid, Podcast